Saturday, October 11, 2008

Why we don't do Lapbooks

I have downloaded some of the freebie ones. I quickly looked through them and realized it would be a waste of our time. This is how part of the conversation would play should we be forced into completing one.

MOM: We are going to do a lapbook.
Z: Why? Do I have to do it on my lap?
MOM: No, it's just a name. It's like a scrapbook for what we are studying.
Z: What are we studying?
MOM: ___________ (fill in the blank)
Z: Can we do one on Pokemon instead?
MOM: No!
Z: Why?
MOM: Would you please cut out these things?
Z: Can you do it, I can't cut the straight lines very well.
MOM: Now we are going to fold the paper
Z: (folds paper) Look, I made a paper airplane.
MOM: We are not studying aviation today. (smiling through gritted teeth)
Z: Can we? Why don't we fly anywhere anymore?
MOM: It's easier to drive most places now. Would you please glue these pictures now.
Z: Should I use the regular glue or the glue stick?
MOM: Either will be fine. (watches as Z now spreads a gallon of glue on each picture)
Z: Can I color his face? (he grins pointing to a picture of some historical figure)
MOM: No.
Z: Is this supposed to go this way?
MOM: Let me look at the instructions.
Z: (zooming sounds are heard as he is now flying his paper airplane around the room)
MOM: Would you focus please.
Z: What? I'm just trying to have some fun?
MOM: This is supposed to be fun! (again through gritted teeth)
Z: I'd rather play with my airplane. Look I accidentally glued my fingers together?
MOM: Would you sit down and finish please.
Z: How much longer until break?
MOM: Once we are finished here.
Z: (now glues one final picture) there done.
MOM: Can you tell me about what we've just studied? (trying to be serious now)
Z: (spouts a few brief sentences about lapbook) Are we done now?
MOM: Yes, after you help me clean up.
Z: Ah, can't you do that, I want to play with my plane.
MOM: (slams head on table, hair landing in the scraps of paper covered in glue. Lifts head now has paper hanging from hair)
Z: Nice hairdo, Mom.

That is why we don't do lapbooks.

6 comments:

:)De said...

Too funny!
:)De

MOM #1 said...

I agree. Us neither. Not in a million years.

Anonymous said...

I love your sense of humor.

Anonymous said...

ROFL!!!
Yep... that's pretty much how they go here, too.
I have decided that (even though they aren't getting the 'full experience',) it still works out better for us if the kids do the writing and coloring, and I do the cutting and the gluing.
It's the ONLY way we do lapbooks here.

Michelle (foxvalley from HSR)

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

ROTFL!!! Sounds like what would happen in my house. Only with two boys. I'd be outnumbered.

Nora said...

Thank you for doing your part to warn the world of the pitfalls of lapbooks and their ilk. I'm so glad my little one has never seen one, and doesn't even know they exist.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...