Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Week Six and a Few Modifications

We had an amazing eleven days off of school due to hurricanes. Hopefully they are over for the season. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who were deeply affected by the storms.

So due to the interruption of nature we only on week six of school. We have modified a two subjects already and I feel that is all we shall need to do. Our core subjects of Latin, composition, and math are working splendidly. I posted a review of LFC below. We are using Classical Writing Aesop B for composition and Singapore's Primary Math 4 for math. I shall give my reviews for those products in upcoming posts.

The two subjects we have tweaked are religion and science. For religion we had been doing an Old Testament study that is recommended by LCC for 6th grade. One reason we chose to do that was we plan on utilizing the 5th grade recommendations next year to align with our history studies. We started using MOH (Mystery of History) 1 this year for history and it is full of biblical history as well. It created too much redundancy between religion and history. I also feel Z was not fully engaged in the subject. It may be that he has heard these stories so many times, and is not yet at a level to study them in depth. In layman's terms, he was bored.

We opted to switch to Memoria Press Christian Studies 3. I was biting my nails over asking Tigger for more money for school when I found it used for less than half price. Divine Intervention?? We started today and I already feel it is a better fit. We have previously spent a lot of time in the Old Testament but not so much on the life of Christ.

The other subject we tweaked was science. We had started on God's Design for Chemistry this year. I felt the material was too basic and short for my science-oriented Z. He's not called the Professor for nothing. I opted to change to Prentice Hall Physical Science. This is technically a middle school book, one I found at a great deal too. We plan on utilizing the chemistry only portion of the book. I may keep the God's Design to add in some experiments. We also have Van Cleave's chemistry experiment book. We will take it slowly and tweak as necessary but he totally understands the concepts we have covered in the last two weeks.

I am pleased to say that our LCC schedule is the greatest thing this year. I don't feel the stress about jumping from subject to subject. I only wish I had discovered this way sooner. But I guess it is never too late.

2 comments:

Chucki said...

I'm glad that you were able to work everything out so you aren't behind.

MOM #1 said...

I often find myself after a month or so of school really needing to mix it up a bit.

It doesn't take long, especially with boys, to get mundane or bored with whatever you're using.

I find it also helps to keep some fun subjects ready to throw in at a moment's notice "on the side" just in case math or language arts gets just too plain boring, YKWIM?

Good Luck finding your groove!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...