That is our theme for school this year. We've done one since we started homeschooling. Last year was "Bloom where you are planted". That worked out great. What I hadn't known when we picked that was that we would be moving 800 miles. We dug up our roots and are still in the midst of replanting them. Of course, God knew that when he placed that thought in my head.
I thought I'd share some of what we will be using for school this upcoming year. The most exciting part is the history lesson plans I just finished writing. We are doing US history from ancient Indians to modern era all in one year, crazy I know. I couldn't find anything I really wanted to use that was in my budget, so I was inspired to write my own. Wow, now I see why people pay big money for instructors guide's. So 15 books and 100+ notebooking pages later our theme for history is "Explorers, Inventors, Pioneers, & Patriots". Okay almost half of the notebooking pages are of Presidents, so it's not so bad.
Another big step I took was taking workbooks apart and putting them in binders. Talk about getting out of the box, why didn't I do this before. My son hates trying to write on the edge of a workbooks. I think last time I thought about doing it we had no budget for binders so I rationalized not doing it. When someone on a forum brought that up it got me thinking. There's always time to revisit old mindsets and this year our workbooks are free!! Free to lay flat, free to be written on properly. wow, the teacher learns a lesson and school hasn't even started yet.
We are changing providers in every subject except math. I am hoping that my structured, wiggly, don't leave me while I'm working, son will love each subject. One can dream, right? Anyway what we chose were:
Easy Grammar 4, Natural Speller
How to write a story, Just write 3, 10 Fabulous forms of poetry (used one at a time, poetry will take 2 yrs)
Abeka math 4
Apologia's Astronomy
US Geography
PE - written from a college textbook on how to teach pe to elementary kids
Music Theory (Alfred's essentials of music theory, book 1)
Drawing basics w/Thomas Kinkade
Spanish
Bible ( Student discovery bible & Teaching kids authentic worship)
Abeka Health 4
many readers and read alouds
Our journey starts in the middle of August. Like any trip that I am excited for, I want my bags packed way in advance. So I'm in the final stages of that now. School supplies in hand, pencils sharpened, and a special place for extra patience and smiles. I have to keep reminding myself the adventure is in the journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment