Saturday, December 29, 2007

7/14/07 And the future is....

We only have one car. Sometimes it is the thorn in my side, but it is a wise decision for our household right now. My one true freedom is driving. I've always loved to just get in the car and explore. I love discovering back roads to familiar places. Being on a journey is an adventure for me. My journey as of late has been discovering the future. How, you ask? Did you build a time machine? Have you truly discovered Sliding?
None of the above. I very carefully outlined the next 9 years of my son's education. Before you freak you, it's all done in pencil, it's all chageable. I just really wanted to know what kind of path we're on. I picked some particular curriculum and some are just ideas of what I want to do. Since we are only starting 4th grade I know there will be great curriculums created before the end of his homeschooling days. Who knows, some of you may write them. While I don't mind changing curriculum if something fits the bill, I don't want to just jump on "the newest next best thing"
In my journey to the future I envision my son developing a true love of literature. I envision us having thoughtful, deep decisions about the classics. Having conversation in languages I only know how to say "hello" currently. Experimenting with chemicals and discovering the world through a microscope. In my vision I see a well spoken young man with impeccable character. One of the greatest moments for me as a parent was the time I could start having actual conversations in my son. My husband is a talker, but he is more of realist. He doesn't dig into the moment to gain greater understanding of events like I do. In other words, if we watch the same movie, he can summize it in two sentences. My dissertation about the hidden meanings and greater life lesson of the move can take twenty minutes. Watch the movie "Stranger than Fiction" and then discuss with someone and you'll see what I mean. I really crave being able to pick apart moments like that with my son.
We do that on a small scale now. Like discussing how the music at the end of Star Wars III makes me cry. Because it means Anakin is becoming Darth Vader, I can't hardly watch, it's so sad. We talk about how Anakin let his fear and anger take control of his life and that is one of the big reasons he made poor choices.
My vision of the future came to screeching halt last night at dinner. We were all tired, but went out to eat. My husband was reading the paper, we don't get it at home, he's only reads it on Sunday's and when we go out to eat. My son was playing his new game system and I was having a lovely conversation with the waitress about her son who was turning three soon. While that is not a complete picture of our family dinners it was a dose of reality. No deep meaning conversation, no foreign language unless you count a little of the Louisiana slang I've picked up.
I know homeschooling will help me guide my son's education, and eventually he'll make choices for himself. I do hope his interests will help define his education down the road. So while I keep my vision intact, I build the foundation day upon day. Today, Star Wars, tomorrow who knows. In the meantime I'll keep my vision, as long as it's written in pencil.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...