Saturday, December 29, 2007

5/24/07 One more day!

Tomorrow officially end our 3rd year of homeschooling. Yeah! We are going to finish a few tests and then clean up the schoolroom. It's hard to believe we've been doing this for 3 years. It has been a busy year for us.
We moved 800 miles south, we got rid of our 2nd car and have been car-less during the day since September. Our field trips have been in our own back yard.
We've discovered the world of bugs and stuff in our new yard. Including snakes and spiders. We've discovered there are such things as flying termites that "pass through" in the spring. Yuck!!
We had to move where we do school because I kept getting distracted by the birds in the feeder my husband made for us.
My son discovered that occasionally mom can make school fun, even if by accident.
We found Star Trek Voyager and have been shipping off to the Delta Quadrant in the afternoons. I discovered that my son's desire to explore space is good motivation to focus at school, "Honey, you can't be one of the first men on Mars if you don't learn your multiplication tables."
We discovered the "Jedi Apprentice" books. They are when Obi-Wan Kenobi was a child. I had forgotten how much fun an adventure novel can be. I love changing my voice for each character's dialog
Next fall we will be studying US History. I'm already brainstorming how I can come to school dressed like the people we will be studying. I'm envisioning the bag of Army guys spread all over a map laid out on the ground as we work on world war history. I found a bugle at a garage sale for Civil War studies. How about dumping tea bags into the baby pool as we read "Johnny Tremain"?
My son retains more information when I am just being my goofy self. Who knows, by the end of the summer maybe I'll figure out a way to make Grammar fun as well.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...