Thursday, March 10, 2011

Writing Course: Day Three


Day three has come and gone and we are stronger for it. Z worked with words, paragraphs, and narratives today. Our first task was to read a short book and I asked questions, thereby creating a narrative. This was taught in Writing with Ease. I started to see something in him while he was answering my questions. I studied and made notes.

When we moved to sentences I saw it, like discovering there is a sparkly vampire in your midst, I found it. (I only use that analogy because Z and I have had many conversations about who believes that vampires sparkle. He finds it illogical) What I discovered is something I knew, but it's like peeling that layer of understanding. Z is more literal than I imagined. He has such a sense of humor, a vagueness about his concern for certain areas of his life. When it comes to instructions and writing he needs more specifics. Alas, HE IS like me, he needs the details. (I'm quite sure Tigger is going to be happy to hear that one *giggle*) He was trying to be overly perfectionistic about his writing. Since our everyday speech is more casual that was a surprise.

As the light shines on this epiphany I see that he is like that in some areas. I attributed it to his youth/inexperience, not necessarily his personality. This helps me tremendously. I can frame assignments differently, I understand how to teach someone who needs details. *details, glorious details*

The rest of the day went smoothly and I'm seeing a path in the forest emerge. We just needed an aerial view to show us the way.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...