We diverted a little in the last month as we've been study poetry and focusing on our writing skills. Z's current piece is Shakespeare's Sonnet 18. I'm giving him two weeks for this piece and by Friday he will have it memorized. We've played with the piece in several ways. One was to rewrite the sonnet for an alternative audience. I posted both of those last week, the Redneck sonnet 18 and the Dirty Job sonnet 18. Silliness abounds in our house AND it actually helps him memorize it. Don't be afraid to be silly!
Here is sonnet 18, I'll post how he does on Friday.
SONNET 18
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest:
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this and this gives life to thee.
2 comments:
I love the Dirty Job sonnet. What a fun idea! I've been enjoying your posts about writing. :)
Gotta love that memory work. I tell you it sticks with you forever.
I still choke up when I think of #43 from Sonnets from the Portuguese . . . "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways . . . "
Keep it up!
Post a Comment