I love to read. I love to read poetry. I've written some poetry before but most of it would be considered twaddle compared to any translation of Homer. However, yesterday I found myself becoming a translation snob. Okay, snob may be a stretch but I decided I did not prefer the above Fitzgerald translation of The Odyssey.
This spring I finished the Lattimore translation of The Iliad. It literally took me months to read it. I would pace in my bedroom book in hand reciting aloud the poetic language of Homer via Lattimore. I fell in love with phrases such as "a generation of leaves" and the use of Homeric names and they way the meter flowed as if I were reliving each moment of the book as it happened. It was like watching an artist at work.
I laid in bed last night ready to dig into The Odyssey hoping the same melody would fill my heart. I had started book 1 a few weeks ago but was distracting away. Perhaps I am prejudice as Odysseus is my absolute favorite character from these Ancient tales. While I did find the Fitzgerald volume easier to read I found myself missing something. It hit me as I finished book two, the melodic nature of Lattimore was not there.
This spring I finished the Lattimore translation of The Iliad. It literally took me months to read it. I would pace in my bedroom book in hand reciting aloud the poetic language of Homer via Lattimore. I fell in love with phrases such as "a generation of leaves" and the use of Homeric names and they way the meter flowed as if I were reliving each moment of the book as it happened. It was like watching an artist at work.
I laid in bed last night ready to dig into The Odyssey hoping the same melody would fill my heart. I had started book 1 a few weeks ago but was distracting away. Perhaps I am prejudice as Odysseus is my absolute favorite character from these Ancient tales. While I did find the Fitzgerald volume easier to read I found myself missing something. It hit me as I finished book two, the melodic nature of Lattimore was not there.
This morning I rushed to paperbackswap and requested a Lattimore version. Thankfully there were two in the system. If they are not accepted soon I may be rushing to Amazon for an order or even (e-gads) my local bookstore.
I will save the Fitzgerald translation for ds. There are a few years before he will be assigned either and they will serve as a nice comparison, regardless of what translation he reads.
I'm truly not a picky person. I will drink most any coffee, except burnt, I will usually make do with what I have. But with books, apparently I'm more particular than I thought.
I will save the Fitzgerald translation for ds. There are a few years before he will be assigned either and they will serve as a nice comparison, regardless of what translation he reads.
I'm truly not a picky person. I will drink most any coffee, except burnt, I will usually make do with what I have. But with books, apparently I'm more particular than I thought.
1 comment:
That Lattimore version is divine.
Post a Comment