Thursday, February 04, 2010

Beginning Literature Analysis



After some reflection, contemplation, frustration, and commiseration from certain other homeschooling families I decided to follow the wisdom of someone who was kind enough to share their latest venture into writing. Going back to familiar stories to teach literature elements.

I immediately cried Eureka! at her lightbulb moment and ran through the house and grabbed one of the Z's favorite childrens stories, The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear. It is a most excellent story to help develop a basic lit analysis.

I hurriedly created a lit analysis form, available here. The form was created by referring to the book Critical Conditioning by Kathryn Stout. Critical Conditioning is an excellent reference source for homeschoolers.

So today we discussed the elements on the form, then we read the book. Then we went back and filled in the form. I was impressed with Z's focused attention (a good thing in 12 year olds), his observations of the plot, and how easily he grasped the plot elements.

Tomorrow we are doing a paragraph with Z being able to chose from a few different topic sentences. If you have read the book, these should be familar to you.
1. The Bear never existed.
2. The narrator was looking out for the mouse
3. The narrator was a bully.
4. The mouse allowed his fear to win.

or Z's addition
5. The narrator was a jerk and only wanted the strawberry.

I feel quite blessed to be able to bounce ideas, frustrations off others that are homeschooling. I am also thankful that those that are further ahead of us on the road are willing to be transparent so we can learn from them.

1 comment:

MOM #1 said...

I know what you mean. I bow to the feet of all who have gone before me.

I see you've been hanging out more and more on the high school board at the WTM . . . ease on in . . . the water's warm, LOL.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...