Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Curriculum for 2009/2010

Thanks to Darcy for putting together this August Blog Hop. I've finally finalized our plans, which is great considering we start school next week. This will be our second year use The Latin-Centered Curriculum as our model, which worked wonderfully for us last year. Every year we do a theme. The theme for this year is The Journey: Treasure Quest. It seems fitting for what we have planned for the year:

Latin - Latin for Children B. We're looking forward to furthering our Latin this year and checking out the cool new DVDs from CAP featuring Supra Vir.

Writing/Grammar - Classical Writing Aesop & Homer for Older Beginners. Homer recently underwent surgery in my house, yes that's a scalpel in my hand. I unbound the workbooks and put them in a binder to make them easier to use.



Math - Math, math, math. Normally science is my wishy-washy subject for the new year. It has been math this year. Now my plan is to finish Life of Fred Decimals & Percents and then move into a 1972 Dolciani pre-algebra program. I also have Singapore CWP 5 to supplement.

Logic - The Art of Argument. If ever a child needed to learn how to argue it would be mine. Z is a master of negotiation and hence this is part of the molding into a young man that I deem necessary.

History - Famous Men of the Middle Ages is our main text. We will also use "the Story of the Middle Ages" and many historical books to fill in this fascinating time of history.

Science - Science Matters, which is a book I reviewed a few weeks ago. Absolutely fascinating, I think any parent who is confused about science should make this a must read.

Literature - We will read about King Arthur & Robin Hood as our main texts. I've chosen Roger L. Green for King Arthur and Howard Pyle for Robin Hood.

Geography - This is a continuation of our world geography study from last year. In year two we will focus on Asia, Africa, Australia & Oceania, and Antartica. Lots of As in there.

Religion - we will focus on the history of the church for this period. Z will also do a short study on Proverbs for boys and I have some fascinating Louie Giglio DVDs to expand our horizons.

Art/Music - we will study one period, genre, or artist each month.

I'm truly looking forward to starting back next week. Z is not as excited, but I can't wait to see what new adventures this year will hold.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Aahhh... the Latin-Centered Curriculum-- it's been very influential here, too! We don't adhere to it fully, but we have taken many, many nuggets of wisdom from it and those tidbits have made a world of difference!

Good luck w/ your upcoming year-- it looks like you have wonderful things in store! We'll be tackling the LoF texts, too (Fractions first, the Decimals/Percents) and then CW Homer around mid-year. Lots of good stuff... enjoy!

RockerMom said...

Sounds like fun! Can I be your second student?

MOM #1 said...

We're not getting started until September, I think. I'm still trying to get it all together. The planning, the scheduling, the EVERYTHING. It's such a love/hate kind of thing.

Looks like you've made some great choices. I'd like to sit in on a bunch of them. One of the joys of homeschooling is the endless self-eduction. Yummy!

Wendy said...

Oh, new ideas for me!! I'm especially intrigued by your history, science, and lit. Thanks for the inspiration. I have three sons (and one princess) that this would really appeal to.

Darcy @ m3b said...

I'm off to check out Science Matters...

Thanks for joining in on the NBTS Blog Hop!

Anonymous said...

I need to check out the Art of Argument book! Have a great year!

Robin E. said...

Very interesting. I've heard a lot about Classical homeschooling, but I've never heard of Latin-Centered Curriculum. Hmmmm. Thank you for sharing on the Blog Hop.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...