That was our theme for this week. We dissected that phrase to our liking. This is our version of the above, "A glimpse of what God created makes everyone family." In other words, when we view the wonders of nature it creates a commonality among us.
This week we did a lot of observation. The dragonflies are coming out, the lizards are pregnant, the flowers are blooming. Here is a tree stump next to our house. This tree actually fell on the house in a hurricane, we didn't live here then. Ants and mushrooms have claimed it as their own.

These flowers are growing in our side yard. They are very tall as you will see in the next photo.
Here is Z, wearing his school uniform :) He is about 52" tall. Lots dragonflies and bees were buzzing around them.
Here is a deceased dragonfly that was by our garage. Z didn't want to look at it, but I found their wings to be quite fascinating. They have a shimmering quality to them. It reminds me of fairies.
Here are some berries randomly growing in our yard.
Nature is an abundant thing in our yard. The previous owners allowed it to grow quite untamed. We have certainly discovered some treasures as we slowly work to tame it. Our yard will never be manicured and pristine, I like its somewhat rustic natural look. We are in a constant battle to keep and find additional square footage in our acerage. Along with all the beautiful thing we also have some not so beautiful. Snakes, which don't bother me. I prefer to see them every once in a while, that way I know where they are. Poison Ivy. I was badly infected last year and this year have it on my leg just from walking around the yard. So observation in what I do best.
We drew in our nature notebooks this week as well. Z drew the giant flowers and I drew the dragonfly. We are enjoying this study and look forward to the weeks to come.
2 comments:
I love those flowers! So pretty and tall. I would have drawn those in my nature journal too.
I think you are very wise to keep some of your yard a little wild...especially so your son will have a place to explore. It sounds like you have so much to learn about and I have doubt that you will learn a lot.
Thanks for the link,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom
I love dragonflies too, though I've never found a dead one and the live ones won't let me get anywhere near close. Those are some great flowers. Good luck with the poison ivy; that stuff's nasty.
Post a Comment