Our challenge this week was to find two items on our nature walk for further study. We are blessed that we truly do not need to leave our yard to pursue nature. One of the first things we encountered was a giant ant mound. These are commonplace in our yard. Here is one that was formed around a stump.

Since we have observed ants multiple times over the time we have lived here, we opted to not study them further at this time.
We did decide to further research crawfish holes. We have them pop up throughout the yard, yet we have yet to see a real crawfish. Our plan is to research them online early this week.

Keeping with the strictly southern theme we also opted to pursue the study of magnolia trees. We have several scattered throughout the yard as well. Z drew a wondeful picture of a magnolia leaf (I'll post a picture of that later).


While we are out in the yard everyday we enjoyed starting our school day with a short nature walk. It was refreshing. We have several more weeks ahead of challenges ahead. We look forward to making this one of our summer activities.
3 comments:
Glad you joined the Green Hour Challenges! You look like you are going to have lots of interesting things to learn about.
I have never seen a crawfish hole...I would love to learn more about it if you post on it.
We have a magnolia tree too and they always have something interesting going on.
You are off to a great start, I look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future.
Barb-Harmony Art Mom
Hi Paula! Great blog you have. How cool that you are doing the Green Hour Challenge.
And btw...I'm tagging you. If you want to play, see my blog for directions. If not, thats cool too!!
Have a great day!
Sheralyn (Parabola from WTM)
Great first challenge! I have been mia for posting on this... just a lot going on... I hope to catch up my posts... we stopped at 9 but I only posted up to 7... I think... I have to go look... thats just sad sounding...
Have fun!
Lisawa
Post a Comment