Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Countdown has Begun

Forget the groundhog, the determing factor for the end of winter begins tonight. Yes, folks, the 2008 NASCAR season is about to begin. I start breathing easier about this time of year. There is nothing like the sound of a roaring engine to calm the withdrawl I have suffered from November until now.

To say we are NASCAR fans would be an understatement. Now I wasn't always such a huge fan, then I met Tigger. His enthusiasm for the sport was contagious. We ended up taking our honeymoon to camp (yes, I said camp) on the grounds of Atlanta Motor Speedway. Why, you ask. It was Richard Petty's final race. Good enough for me. Did I mention it was a tent?

Fast forward several year and Z came to an understanding. We started gauging his growth by taking his picture at the tractor display that was at the Speedway every year. Tigger and I were even blessed with tickets to the night race at Bristol a couple of times. That was the epitome of cool. (No, we no longer have Bristol tickets) We took Z home some toy cars one year. I had been trying to get him to say Kyle Petty for months, yet Mark Martin rolled off his lips as soon as he got the #6 car. We even attended a autograph session one year and at age four Z stood in line for two hours just to meet Mark Martin. He signed the cereal box.

There is something addictive about watching a race. One TV, it's one thing, but to attend a real race is a treat. I love a sport where, for the most part, the drivers are good role models. I enjoy that they are allowed to openly talk about their faith, that you can pray at an event, that you take off your hat when they say the pledge and everyone sings the national anthem.

The Bud shootout is tonight and next week the greatest opening weekend of them all, Daytona! Ironically I find the roar of 43 engines as calming as the ocean waves.


Here is a picture of my two winners.








This is me posing with my favorite driver, Kyle Petty. I love that this picture looks like we are just hanging out together. Actually is was an autograph session. I admire Kyle Petty because his exudes character. On this particular day he had not qualified for the race. Yet he stuck around to sign autographs the next day. He signed these huge pictures from Sprint that showed the his car in front of the track and the date of the race. While he might have been "contractually required" to stay, he did so with grace and smiled and took time with everyone that morning. To me, that is what a sports role model should be.





GENTLEMEN START YOUR ENGINES!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Hey, my son was upset that NASCAR was on because he wanted to watch basketball. I'm not a committed fan but I love to watch. Believe it or not, my mom was a tomboy and drag raced with the boys when she was younger. Ha! We were raised watching all kinds of sports. Enjoy!

Daisy said...

I'm cracking up!! We are not car racing fans. Actually, I don't think we've ever met a sport we really liked BUT I LOVED your post! It was a pleasure to read. I wound up reading it to everyone in the room and we all laughed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...