Saturday, January 12, 2013

Tentative Course of Study for 2013-2014



Z and I had a few great discussions this week, those kind that make you proud to have such a neat human being in your life. Among those discussions, we came to a tentative agreement about classes for next year, year 10. Year 10, a decade of learning. Whoa.

Anyway, here's the list. Even if the subjects don't change, I know that I'll modify contents a bit before we start, if previous planning years are any indication.

  • English II (literature & composition)
  • World History II (Roman - Middle Ages)
  • Modern Physics (Physics in the 21st Century)
  • Geometry 
  • Algebra II - he wants to double up on math this year so he can do calculus his senior year.*
  • Japanese II
  • Star Trek and Its Influence**
  • Ethics (.5 credit)

* I'll cautiously schedule two credits of math. If it becomes too much we have a few options: 1. Rotate the maths each week and take two years to complete them both. 2. Scale back to Geometry only, saving Algebra II for later. 

**This class is one I am most excited about creating. Since we school in six week segments, we will study a different aspect of Star Trek for each six weeks. My current options include philosophy, technology & science, cultures & religions, film/tv study, and a section on Star Fleet Academy. We may also delve into the Ethics of Star Trek in our Ethics class. 

My current plan is to approach some of these subjects through the lens of philosophy and linguistics, two of Z's major interests.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks like an exciting year for both of you and January is the perfect time to plan. My SIL, who home schooled my nephew all the way through, said that every January like clockwork, she investigated the local schools as an option - yet again!

Love your bookends. Did you glaze them yourself or did you find them that way? Either way, very cool.

Paula said...

Actually, Lisa, that is a ceramic doorstop. I found it a thrift store or garage sale in that condition. I had so many tall books stacked, I needed a really heavy bookend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...