Monday, August 06, 2012

Curiouser and Curiouser


It seems fitting that today we start high school. Another rover landed on Mars this morning, the perfect day for us to begin. When Z was little I used to tease that I would send him to Mars. His favorite question is why, he is intensely curious. So, Curiosity lands on Mars and we're going to land on our first day of high school. Yes, as a friend suggested, I do believe some Bradbury is in order for today. That wasn't on the schedule, but then that's how we roll in our school, make a schedule and then improvise on a whim. At least there is a schedule if we wind up lost.

We're also reading the story of Pandora's Jar. In the version I'm reading they translate the last thing left in the jar as anticipation (pauses for a Rocky Horror memory...). Anticipation can be good or bad. It is usually translated as hope, hope is well, so hopeful. I like hope, I use, but anticipation seems more fitting as we open this year. Anticipation relies somewhat on our choices, which is my point in reading that story today. This year will be what we make it. If we wind up on Mars on Day  One, that leaves a lot of room for exploration this year. I hope to make it so (groan, it's okay, I'm on my first cup of coffee).


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...