Sunday, January 22, 2012

Why Can't We Just be Normal?

 


Why can't we simply be normal? Haha! Why change things now, after all these years? As I have made a decision with Latin that I feel good about, I thought we could get through the rest of this school year without changes. Who am I kidding?

Our biggest issue now is algebra. We used MEP for the first half of the year, went great. I planned on switching back to Dolciani this semester. However it's presented in a way that is confusing to ds. Now it's not confusing to me because I used Dolciani in high school. However, I went to high school in the previous millenia, so well, I'm old. I did take some comfort in knowing that our algebra book is older than me, the previous issue of the book I used in school. But I can see how the language would be confusing. A quick comparison of the 1965 and 1975 version showed they even lightened up on the wording during that long ago decade. But I don't own an answer key or TE or solutions key to the 1975 version. Maybe I should look?

I do own Life of Fred Beginning Algebra which we used part of last year; Z loved it. It worked for him, he got the math, he liked the story. However, my biggest issue with Fred was the lack of additional problems. Now the author is rectifying that situation. At the end of the month he is releasing a new practice problem book co-ordinated to the beginning algebra. I just found this out the other day. I'm thrilled!! That would solve my issue with the Life of Fred book. Z would be happy too.

So next week he is going back and doing chapter tests in the Life of Fred book to test his retention. If he does well, we'll continue with Life of Fred. If he doesn't do well? I don't know. We'll probably continue with Life of Fred, doing a thorough review of the chapters where he needs work. Either way we will get through algebra this year.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

MOM #1 said...

I hate math. Baby Boy is pretty good at it. We used Teaching Textbooks. A lot of people don't feel it's rigorous enough, but he's done great in college calculus . . . so I have had a VERY positive experience.

Wow! Lack of practice was always my biggest hesitation with LOF. I can't believe they're just now putting out a book with additional problems. They finally listened!

I hope it's a great match!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...