Sunday, January 15, 2012
Et tu, Brute? Solutions to our Latin dilemma
Compromise can be a good thing, right? Tomorrow we start one one when we start Wheelock's Latin. Four and a half years ago when we started our Latin journey, I checked Wheelock's our of our public library. I was overwhelmed and it went back. It wasn't just the Latin, it was the level of English grammar discussed in chapter one.
Last week Wheelock's text (two of them) and workbook were delivered to my house. I've worked through chapter one and I get it. I am no longer intimidated. It was a bittersweet moment, however, because it means we are switching Latin programs once again.
We've been through books A and B of the Latin for Children series and loved it. We started Latin Alive last year, and didn't finish for a plethora of reasons. I really like Latin Alive. I love the DVDs, I like the layout, I like the richness of the program. It didn't click as well for my son. Earlier this year we started on Cambridge, mainly for the readings. I had hoped to use Latin Alive for the grammar and Cambridge for the readings, but combining didn't work for us. My goal for this semester was to focus solely on Latin Alive and finish books one this year.
Best laid plans and all...well it's good to be flexible, right? Z and I have been having conversations about high school, about preferences, about the beginnings of college planning, and about Latin. Z likes Latin, not like I like Latin, but he does it. However, he's already expressed interests in learning more languages (we are doing Japanese this year as well, he adores that!) and wouldn't be crushed if we dropped Latin. He wouldn't be crushed if we dropped math either, but that's not going to happen. IMO, Latin is only slightly less important.
After some consideration and conversation with other homeschooling parents teaching Latin, I defined my parameters for learning Latin. They include completing a course in Latin grammar and at least a semester of readings in Latin. If we continue with Latin Alive at our current pace that would required two and a half to three more years. Wheelock's forty chapters will allow us complete a grammar program in the next four semesters (counting the current one). Add another semester of readings and that's only ninth and tenth grade. That would leave two years for Z to pursue a third language; he currently is leaning towards Russian or German. Can you say outsourcing?
Another consideration was cost. I was able to get used copies of the texts and a new workbook for twenty-five dollars. I will add a few supplemental items, probably spend another thirty or fifty dollars in total. Two more levels of Latin Alive with DVDs would be well more than that, close to three hundred dollars.
I'm sad to be leaving Latin Alive, but I credit it for me being able to even consider Wheelock's. Latin Alive is good, deep program that has been beyond helpful in MY Latin study. Since I don't like to waste materials, we may go back and do some Cambridge readings as well as the readings from Latin Alive.
With my eyes toward the future, I made a compromise. It feels right though. I stated my parameters, Z expressed his preference, and we reached a solution. Life is about learning to work together, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment