After much contemplation with how to proceed in our writing instruction, I finally made a decision. I have decided to send myself back to school, at least in a writing class. No, I'm not signing up for a class, I'm much too stubborn to do that. I have multiple resources in my home to use. I working through a rhetoric book. Okay, I just started this week, but I have a goal to finish by the end of June.
My first assignment was to write an essay on a topic of choice. There was a helpful list in the back of the book, topics from A-Z, controversial to mundane. We're supposed to write about what we know, right? I chose aging.
I chose my point of view, I completed a spider diagram, and then I wrote my rough draft. Mostly I'm doing this to be an example for Z. I found I had some strong opinions on aging. I printed two copies of the rough draft. In the first one I highlighted where I had used the points from the spider diagram. In the second one I started editing. That's the stage I'm at now, editing. I may end up changing my entire thesis, based upon the discovered opinions I have on aging. I'm laughing because I didn't know I was so emotional about the topic.
Tomorrow I'll share my new found enthusiasm with Z. He may not be as passionate about my opinions on aging, but at least he'll know I'm not asking him to do anything I'm not willing to do myself. I'm talking about the writing, not the getting old part. I'm still not sure how I feel about that one.

2 comments:
You're such an awesome Mom and Educator!!! I just wanted to let you know that.
I know what you mean.
I learned so much alongside Baby Boy. I feel the same way, I would never demand anything of him that I wasn't willing to do myself. Sometimes it meant I had to lower my exceptions of him, but mostly, I had to raise the expectations I had of myself.;-)
I'd love to read that essay. Are you going to post it here on the blog? Inquiring minds want to know.
Post a Comment