Z is a reluctant writer. He does not lack in the imagination department and can tell wonderful stories, the struggle has been to get him to put them down on paper. This year I bit the bullet and purchased Classical Writing's Aesop B for our grammar and writing program. Yesterday we finished the eighteen week program.
I am so proud of Z, he has moved forward greatly in his writing. We are still working on getting all of those wonderful creative ideas onto paper but he has made real progress. I give credit to Classical Writing for that. It is a deep and rich program. If it were chocolate it would one of those creamy decadent kind. You know the kind that you put into your mouth and simply let it melt because of its texture. Okay, now I've just made myself hungry. Anyway, we could redo the entire book and have a completely different experience. It is that kind of savory experience with a curriculum that I desire.
Z has even said that one of the fun parts of school is diagramming sentences. I know he is my child, but that is not something he picked up from Tigger or I. So there is hope that he will be smarter than both us. :)
Because of my experience with Aesop I have no qualms, although a little bit of stage fright, about moving onto their next level, Homer. We won't dig into that until fall. Until then we are going to work on CW's Poetry for Beginners A. Z keeps telling me that poetry is girly. I simply raise my eyebrows because I know better. I'm currently reading The Iliad and there isn't a "girly" aspect to it. I truly think he will enjoy the poetry, he loves to memorize song lyrics and we are always playing goofy rhyming games.
Armed with CW Aesop we have won another battle. There are no trumpets, no banners, and no war games to coincide with this triumph, but it is victory just the same.
3 comments:
It feels nice doesn't it...
Quiet victories are the best victories.
I always loved diagramming sentences. I still do. But I've been called a nerd on more than one occasion, especially by my very own son, LOL.
Congratulations all around!
Post a Comment