
Z has re-discovered his affection for math. After a dismal start this year, we switched to Singapore Primary Mathematics. This kid can do math in his head like no one I've seen. I'm not surprised, he's been playing around with numbers since he could walk. He had play money, learned to count using Hot Wheel versions of Nascar cars and sees pattern in everything.
The other day he borrowed my 10-key calculator and didn't give it back for two days. I caught him on the couch, I thought he was playing with his PSP, but no, it was the 10-key.
So he's been asking for algebra problems. He loves for me to write out long addition and subtraction problems on the white board. After some research I found the above book listed on paperbackswap.com. It didn't have a picture, so I ordered it sight unseen. It arrived in the middle of our school day and I laughed when I opened it. It is the same text I used in my high school algebra class. that was (mumbled reply)______years ago, but I still recognize the cover. Z decided we needed to start Algebra right then. Granted he can't get much past chapter one at this point, but I pulled problems from the book and he did them correctly.
Everday since then we have been working on algebra. I've been making up basic problems and he gets excited to walk into the room and see math on the board. This is so far from the weeping and gnashing of teeth we had earlier this year.
So I need to review this book and refresh my "skills" before Z is ready to do the entire book. I see that happening in the next one to two years.
Here's the word problem. If I was 15 when I took Algebra and I'm now ___ how fast will I to work through the book in order to meet the needs of my tweenager? I need more coffee as I ponder this.
2 comments:
Oh, don't you just LOVE when they want to learn something.
It looks like it's time for dear Mom to dust off your thinking cap, LOL.
Just viaiting, but I had to say, I had that Algebra book too! I went to PBS and got one for me. I probably need to relearn it as well. My oldest is 12. Thanks for the idea!
Ann
Post a Comment