Tuesday, January 08, 2008

A New Year, a New Schedule

Per the request of Z we are trying to new schedule for a couple of weeks. We are going to use Friday as a day to do those subjects that tend to get left out. Mostly art, geography, and foreign language. We have a wonderful art program this year, Drawing Basics with Thomas Kinkade, and it's hard to drop it in at the end of the day. Geography is a subject we both love and we always end up doing some improptu activities with the states we study. We will also continue with Spelling, reading, and science on Friday as well.

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when we introduced our new spelling list for the week. Z asked if he could do an oral test just after we introduced the words. After a few minutes of review he got 100%! I was so proud of him. So we move to the next spelling list today.

We have also implemented a more scheduled morning routine. We just started this morning so we will see how that turns out. I guess I should point out we do school starting at 11:30. We tried that as an experiment earlier this year and found that it works out quite nice for us.

I also scheduled in exercise time in the morning and for the last two days I have found lightsaber battles to be quite a workout. I'm still sweating from our workout we just finished. It is beautiful outside, upper 70's today. The leaves have fallen and our yard looks very much like a forest. It's fun to have a lightsaber battle for PE. Another good reason to homeschool.

May the force be with you today.

3 comments:

MOM #1 said...

I hope the new schedule works out.

We used to have lightsaber battles too, but we've traded them in for Wii games since Christmas.

It's a real workout

Anonymous said...

Hi, Paula!
Glad to hear that your new schedule's working well for you! :)

What's the vocabulary that you use? Also, what about geography?

How's the workout plan going?

Wishing you a wonderful day!
Michelle32

Paula said...

Hi, Michelle! For vocabulary we started "Vocabulary: Practice makes perfect" from Teacher Created. It's workbook that looks good and will get us through the rest of the year. Next year I want to use Wordly Wise.

US Geo is "Where in the US are you." The text in the workbook is dry, but I liked that it was divided by region. We also request tourist info from each state we study.

Workouts are moving along, at a slow pace now, but headed in the right direction.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...