Yesterday I took part in a writing contest. Our insane goal was to write 30,000 words in one day. You needed to craft so sort of story through that. So I agreed to be a part. I got up at 2am when Daytona barked to go out. So I started writing then, I took 2 short naps, one dinner break and my 10pm my brain was no longer funtioning. I ended up with 20,040 words in one day.
My family was gracious and even went to the grocery so I could work toward this goal. I kept them updated with word counts and they even fixed some leftovers for dinner and left me alone to write.
The story I worked on has been rolling around in my head for over a decade. It's now partially on paper. It may never see the light of day, but it's there.
I put so much of me into my family, it was nice to really take a full day and just focus on me. However, I already see how this will be a benefit for school. I prefer to lead by example. Z will never be able to say that's too much writing. Granted I don't expect him to write 20k in one day, but someday he might.
This was part of a year long writing contest. My goal is 300,000 words in one year. I'm 8% of the way there already. If you are a dabbling writer, a frustrated novelist, or a prose fanactic you can join this Nanowriye challenge at http://www.pro-board.com/index.php?proboard=nanowriye2008&act=idx .
No comments:
Post a Comment