Thursday, November 15, 2012

Of Pruning and Priorities


Some days it seems the doors of opportunity are barred. Some days you bolt them close yourself. Today Z and I discussed priorities surrounding classes. We made the tough decision to drop Russian from our schedule. We like Russian, we enjoy the language, we're learning, yet it's the lowest priority subject on the ninth grade schedule. With the addition of science to the schedule, it's taken a lower priority.

It's all good, that leaves us more time to focus on Japanese and will make our rotation of subjects flow more smoothly. It also leaves Z with six and a half credits for the year instead of seven. I'm okay with that. I am still debating on whether to assign credit to his programming, which he has spent well over half a credits time pursuing so far this year.

I am a little sad though to drop Russian. It's a cool language, it's fun to practice and read. We may add it back in next term or next year. However, we have to keep the focus on the core skills of writing, grammar, math and the coverage of science and history. Z was all right with it. We hadn't gotten to it in the last two weeks anyway. *sigh*

Part of making hard choices is prioritizing. Z knows if he can get ahead in his key subjects we'll add it back in. Part of growth is pruning that which isn't working correctly too. A tree grows better when it is trimmed properly right? Hard choices, but hopefully this tree will grow better now too.

2 comments:

MOM #1 said...

I know the feeling. So much to learn, so little time! I used to agonize over pruning our schedule as well. I wanted us to learn EVERYTHING!!!

Good luck and happy pruning.

RockerMom said...

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I'm not quite pruning (yet), but we're focusing on the core and doing the rest as we can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...