Friday, December 10, 2010

Transition, a new science sourcebook, and fleece pants

Our transition is still in process. Today I'm sitting in our cozy bungalow that is 90% completed. Completed as in ready to move into, not that all of our stuff is here. But we now have internet and we'll be able to breath again. Okay, I know living without internet is not the end of the world, but it's part of our educational budget and our entertainment. Especially this winter. This will be our first winter back where it gets cold. By cold I mean you have to sleep in socks for more than two nights out of the year. By cold I mean own a coat and wear it. By cold I mean being thankful for buying the fuzzy Old Navy scarf before we moved.
I had to go buy a couple of pairs of fleece pants. The other day I had on four layers on my torso, tank top, long sleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt, and jacket. Yuck! But we're here and I must adapt (or hibernate, which is entirely possible with the internet and homeschooling ;)
Speaking of hibernating today I have been curled up with the above book The Sourcebook for Teaching Science. This was a fantastic find on amazon. It's geared for grades 6-12 and written for science teachers. As the mother of a child who likes science I'm excited about this resource. I just received it today (thank you Amazon Prime!) and have thumbed through the first seven chapters. Not only will Z learn a lot from this book, I will too. There are chapters on the vocabulary of science, reading of science materials, and writing on science. This will be most helpful for developing those skills needed to write a proper science paper. The companion website is also full of links and hints.
An adult who desires to expand their understanding of science could find this a valuable tool as well. If you combined this resource with the book Science Matters, a book on Scientific literacy, you could have a great self-education course covering the major areas of science.
It's warmer out today and so I ventured outside. However, this evening I will probably pull on those fleece pants, settle down in the quiet of my new house, and enjoy my new science book. Tomorrow I'll finish organizing the kitchen.

1 comment:

hornblower said...

Oh - I'm glad you posted that recommendation! I have Science Matters already; sounds like that will flesh it out nicely.

stay warm :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...