Friday, September 24, 2010

End of Week Won

No, it's not a typo. It's the end of the week and we have won. Week one anyway. Our read-aloud The Ch'i-lin Purse challenged my ability to pronounce Chinese names. Z finished his first book for the academic year.

Latin was tougher this year. We've moved from the Latin for Children series to Latin Alive. Having the DVD available for teaching is such a plus. I'm studying ahead and certainly appreciate being able to lean on Karen Moore's expertise.

Megawords and WWE are returning favorites from last spring. They felt familiar and right.

We have not started math yet so we'll see if LOF algebra is embraced as wholly as the other LOF books we've completed.

Asian Studies has been mostly about geography this week. Z has mapped and colored and is currently finished a report on India. Next week we get into reading on Ancient China.

Japanese has been a hit. Granted we only finished week one, but having video support is a necessity. I had already cautioned Z we would be learning Japanese together. I'm not sure if it's the language or the fact we're learning something together as to why we both enjoyed it so much.

Literature was the final subject we added in this week. We read Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, which tied into our Asian Studies well. I have to admit as we read about Nag my mind journeyed back to the morning I found a snake in the house. Thankfully it did not seem intent upon our doom.

Two things I discovered this week, the cat and dog are a big distraction. The dog was not happy I was using a stuffed wolf as a prop in our Latin fairy tale time. Astrum, yes my stuffed wolf has a name, was standing in for the magnus malus lupus (big bad wolf) in The Three Little Pigs story. My dog kept trying to pull the wolf off my lap while I read. Either she was jealous or she claims Astrum as her own as Astrum sits on a chair in our bedroom and Daytona sleeps on the ottoman of that chair each night.

The cat tried to sit on my computer mouse this week. He bit Z as Z was supposed to be writing and this morning he licked the last grape in my bowl. The domestic creatures may be banned from school next week. Maybe not.

I've already seen growth in ability and effort this week. I'd be giddy, except I'm tired.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to be in your class. It seems you are studying interesting things and probably quite a few my teachers never got around to!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...