Saturday, June 19, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are or Guess What's Living in our Yard!

At the end of our driveway is a drainage ditch. It always has some water in it and thankfully we have a long driveway. This week Tigger found this little guy living in the ditch. He's about two feet long and is actually quite adorable, for an alligator. Words I never thought I'd speak.

Before we moved here we lived in the mid-west, where alligators don't. When we started talking about moving here I had nightmares about alligators. I am surprised that the thought of this critter living in my yard doesn't entirely freak me out. Perhaps it has to do with shock of how many other creatures along the gulf are being destroyed because of oil, perhaps it's because we've seen every other form of nature in our yard. The alligator was bound to happen sooner or later.


The advice we've been given by those who know more about alligator behavior than us is to let him be. He's at least 1-2 years old and will wander away in search of food when his supply runs out. His mouth is about five inches big right now, so he's not a big threat. Yet.

I continue to be amazed at the diversity of nature in this state. The only thing we have yet to see is the wild boar that inhabit the area. Yes, wild boar. There are even warning signs on the hiking trails.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...