Thursday, June 04, 2009

Science Matters, 2nd Edition

Science Matters is the book we are using as our spine for science for next fall. It is part of the LCC recommendations for 8th grade. Now Z isn't going into 8th grade but he has a wonderful comprehension of all things science. I have the first edition of this book and we read a couple of chapters this spring as a trial run, it was a major hit. A 2nd edition was just released and was laid in my hot little hands (hot from being on the UPS truck) about five minutes ago.

Here are the author notes on the update to 2nd edition. He mentions a few of the updates that have taken place since the first edition was released and then states... "Accordingly, every chapter has been significantly updated, we have added only a single new chapter on the explosion of advances in biotechnology. We conclude that the experience of the past two decades underscores the value of the great ideas approach to achieving scientific literacy."

The ISBN on the new edition is 9780307454584.

Even if you are not using an LCC approach to science I believe this book is a must read for students and parents alike. It felt invigorating to read about quantum mechanics and actually understand it, and that was in the old edition. I can't wait to dig into the new one this summer for me, this fall together.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's on my wish list!

Dangie said...

I have this planned for 8th grade. Since my pupil is not science-y, we won't do it until then. Thanks for the info! I may need to get it sooner then later so I can read it! :)

MOM #1 said...

I've never even heard of that. I like sciencey reads . . . now I'm gonna have to add that to my wish list. Nice review.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...