Monday, February 23, 2009

Alex Rider: A Conclusion



I feel quite sad today. We have finished with the Alex Rider series. We started Stormbreaker as a read-aloud last fall, before school even started. We would read an Alex Rider book then go to something historical or educational then rush back to Alex. Snakehead is the final chapter, so far, in the series. Z and I have traveled the world through Alex's eyes. We have watched him save the world multiple times, with help from friends and misc gadgets along the way.

I'm not sure who enjoyed the series more, me or Z. I've never been much of a girly-girl, so Alex's adventures were right up my alley. James Bond is also a big hit in our house, so it was nice to find a series with that feel, yet tame enough for Z.

We have watched Alex, the character, change and grow as he has gone through various bumps and bruises along the way. With a little bit of foresight I would have written an entire geography curriculum centered around the series to use this year. IMO it would be a great series to form a geography unit study around.

So I have sadly shelved the final Alex Rider book. Z's first words after we finished were "Are there going to be anymore?" I don't know. I would think not as it seems the author has come to a nice crisp ending. Perhaps in a few years Alex will grow up and we shall see what he does for his future.

2 comments:

The Home School Burrow said...

We still have yet to read Stormbreaker. But since we haven't started it yet, I think I will be using your idea and tie Geography in.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for telling us about it. I've got it on hold from the library now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...